Thursday, November 20, 2008

Last night I read the scripture and prayer myself (naturally since I'm the only one who can read fluently) and our little discussion was quite interesting. It always both validates and surprises me how much my children know about the scriptures. I try, don't always succeed, at quizzing the boys about the scriptures after they are read to see if they have any understanding...last night I informed them before I read that I was going to quiz them so they could prepare and really think about what I was going to read. Here's how the discussion went:

I read: D&C 58: 42-43: "Behold, he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more. By this ye may know if a man repenteth of his sins - behold, he will confess them and forsake them."

I asked Alex first what he thought that meant and what Heavenly Father wanted us to learn from this scripture, he said, "Um, it means that we need to be great to everyone and be baptised."

Not sure he actually heard the scripture, but getting a really good response nonetheless, I moved on to Austin. He replied, "It means that when we say a naughty word we need to tell Heavenly Father we are really sorry. I always tell him I'm sorry when I say a naughty word. Then He says, 'ok'."

So, wow. I was rather pleased he got something out of that, maybe it's just great teaching on Sister Dube's part, or mine or Jon's, but he got it somewhat. (By the way, the naughty word to which he is referring is "oh my gosh".)

Anyway, I proceeded to tell them that those answers were really great, but that I wanted them to be sure to know that after they said that they were sorry they needed to not do that again and that was what it meant in the scripture to "forsake".

There you have it. It was a very good discussion.

1 comment:

Hesses Madhouse said...

Cute! You have such sweet kids. I would venture to say that their mom is doing a great job.